Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Calaveras Road


View Larger Map
What an exciting weekend ride we had. To start things off we had the first weekend of rain, would the ride go as scheduled? No, rather than our early 8AM roll time coach pushed back the time to allow the roads to dry a bit. On our way to meet the team traffic came to a screeching halt and the highway was closed due to police action. Everyone from Oakland/Berkeley/SF/Marin was going to be stuck in this mess. We hit the road over an hour later than scheduled but had a beautiful ride from Dublin/Pleasanton BART to Calaveras Reservoir

It's great to explore so many areas of the Bay Area. Have you ever been to Sunol? What a cute little town. I want to go back & explore.

The ride included a 12 mile climb of 1,105ft and 1,032ft decent. Hills have been hard for me but Coach Marc complimented me on my cadence. It's good to know I'm improving. I'm still a bit nervous on the downhill since my hands are too small to comfortably grip my breaks. Coach Mark rode downhill with me and complimented my technique. So while I may not be the first up or down the hill at least I look good doing it!

A quick reminder of why I'm doing this:
Leukemia, lymphoma and myeloma will cause the deaths of an estimated 52,910 people in the United States this year. These blood cancers will account for nearly 9.4 percent of the deaths from cancer in 2008 based on the 565,650 total cancer-related deaths.

Every ten minutes, another child or adult is expected to die from leukemia, lymphoma or myeloma. This statistic represents nearly 145 people each day, or six people every hour.

Leukemia causes more deaths than any other cancer among children and young adults under the age of 20.

Help us find a cure for blood cancers with a donation?

1 comment:

Phil said...

Calaveras is one of my favorites! Great job!