Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Run to The Lake

This past Sunday our coached training run was to participate in a 5 or 10K race "Run to the Lake" This gives participants the opportunity to experience race day activities, registration, pre-race routines, the thrill of the crowds etc. Being that I've trained a full season I didn't think much of it. I can run 3.2 miles... no problemo.

Well I learned a lesson this weekend. My activities of the day before DO in fact matter. Don't tell my coaches but I played a soccer game on Saturday. It was fun and I played well. Unfortunately I think I wore out my legs the day before a race.

It didn't take long before I felt the familiar burn & sting of the shin splints. I ran (slowly) out to the turn around of the 5K & knew I wouldn't make it all the way to the finish. I walked for about 8 minutes to ease the ache and picked it back up to get to the end. I couldn't get home soon enough to apply my ice-packs. Oh I love ice.

I was 24th place in my age division running an average 13.13 minute mile.

Tonight I attempt to run for 30 minutes at the weekly buddy run. I'll let you know how it goes.

Here's a picture of the course map from Sunday:

No comments: