Tuesday, May 6, 2008

The Third Time's The Charm

This is the happy face of a finisher! Last year I crossed the finish in 3:08:39, my goal was to beat that time, my dream was to finish under 3 hours. I wasn't sure my dream was possible since I spent the week before the race with a head and chest cold. I woke up on Saturday with what I feared might be the start of an ear infection.

I headed north with hopes that 5 hours in the car would scare the germs away. It seemed to work - by Saturday evening I was feeling pretty good & getting excited to return to The Ave.

With a year of running under my belt I was able to keep up with my teammates and have people to talk with through the course. Last year I ran most of the event alone. I felt good and strong. I was able to stop to take pictures, cheer on my friends and enjoy the course.

At about mile 5 I began to feel a blister forming on my left foot so I removed my Superfeet orothotic insert and ran "lopsided". It worked, no blisters!

Everything was going great. I estimated my time between 12-13 minute miles, if I kept that pace I'd kick this race in the rear. Then I got to mile 8 and realized I needed a potty break. Oh, no I broke the seal. From then to the finish I had to stop at EVERY porta-potty along the course. This will definately slow me down.

Mile 10 brought calf cramps - no! Must drink more electrolytes. Must take another Gu.

Mile 11 brought thoughts of my dad and tears. He won't be at the finish line to greet me with a jug of beer. I think I have a sense of what it feels like to have asthma. It's hard to run and breathe while crying.

Mile 12 brought Lolo! Thank God, I needed some support & distraction. She ran me to the finish line.

I completed The Ave 2008 and beat my goal and my dream came true. I crossed the finish line in 2:59:54. I beat my course record by 8 minutes 45 seconds, I beat my personal best (Nike 1/2 2007 3:00:04) and can now hang up my running shoes.

Up next... a few months of rest and then I take on the challenge of a century cycle: Solvang's Finest 100 Miles.

Albums:
My photos
Kieran's photos

7 comments:

Joe said...

YEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!

We at the V. house are SO proud of you! Great job Sarah!

Phil said...

Awesome job Sarah! You ROCK! Your dad didn't have to wait for you at the finish line. He was with you all the way! I'm so proud of you in achieving your goal! Can't wait to hear about your cycling chronicles!! GO TEAM!

Jane said...

I am so proud of you Sarah! It breaks my heart that I wasn't there to see it all!

elainepill said...

you're making me tear up at work here...i'm SOOOOOO proud of you! way to go!

Gabe said...

big congrats!! that's great news!!

Margie in Oakland said...

Better late than never for a comment-CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!! Great job.

Anonymous said...

Good job. You should come down and run Long Beach Marathon. You'd have lots of support!

Emmett