Wednesday, April 23, 2008

I Broke The Psychological Barrier

Here is what oakland.net has to say about the lake:
Lake Merritt is a focal point, it stands as the jewel of Oakland, even crowned with lights. A unique fresh and salt-water lake, the largest such lake located within an urban area consisting of 3.4 miles around the circumference of the lake, covering 155 acres of land. The depth of Lake Merritt varies upon how much water is allowed to filter in from the Estuary and upon rain water intake.

With adjacent and nearby parks and amenities to enjoy such as Snow Park where you may play several rounds of golf, walk or jog up and down the Cleveland Cascades, play a set of tennis at the Athol Tennis Courts, rent a kayak at the Lake Merritt Boating Center, read a book from the Main or Lakeview Library, or bring your magical keys to enjoy a whole new world at Children's Fairyland ~ the fun begins here.

For me this lake is daunting and apparently a necessary evil in my training. Every Tuesday evening for the past year I've met up with a group training with TEAM to run around the lake. For some reason running around the lake is hard for me. I can run a 1/2 marathon but I can't make it all the way around that damn lake without stopping to walk, to catch my breath, to stretch.

Until last night. I did it. Finally. With the distraction of my friend, Leti, I ran the whole thing. I felt good doing it. I had many moments of "this would be a good place to walk" but since Leti was my buddy for the night I wanted to keep up with her. If I stopped, she'd have to stop... the guilt was too much to bear. Ha!

Ha ha, Mr Lake, you got nothing on me now. I own you!

It was Belinda's birthday so we went to Luka's Taproom to celebrate after the run. Wow, what a cool place. Why have I not been there before? I tried to stick to my "big fat loser" diet by ordering a salad but I also had two refreshing Stella's and snuck a few fries off the other plates. Oh I also had a couple of bites of the birthday ice cream sundae. Regardless of all that I lost weight again this week.

No comments: