Thursday, April 17, 2008

What a Week

So sorry for the long gap in postings. I'll catch you up on what's the happs. Last Thursday we did the triple loop of hills with circuit drills (crunches, push-ups, supermans, squats). Friday I enjoyed the rest before our first long run. Saturday was a beautiful day for 6-8 miles along the San Leandro Marina trail. Typically I run the short to average prescribed distance because either I'm scared to run that far or I hope to prevent injury. I pushed myself and did the full 8 miles! Wow that was fun and hard and a leap over the psychological barrier. By the time I got back to base-camp the sun was blasting heat - it was at least 80. I felt bad for the rest of the team that was still on the trail hitting the 14 mile marker. This trail is totally exposed, not a tree or shade spot for most of the route. Bonus of the day: I got to see a cute little skunk waddle across the path too.

By the time I got home at noon the heat of the day was close to 90. I had promised my roommate that I'd spend time gardening this weekend to get the house ready for spring. I ate my lunch, drank more fluids, changed my shoes and got to weeding. I'm not sure that was the best idea after the run & in that heat. After an hour or two I quit that job and found a cold drink. I made a phone call that I don't remember - perhaps a bit of heat exhaustion had hit! We spend another few hours on Sunday cleaning up the beds and spread two cubic yards of mulch... talk about back breaking work.

Tuesday night's buddy run was hard for me because my feet hurt too much to run. I ended up walking the lake but it felt good. I also rode my stationary bike to keep up the cardio that I missed by not running. I may have a touch of plantar fasciitis. Boo.

I was so excited for track this morning - ready to get a good workout in to start the day. Somehow the volume on my alarm clock was turned down & I didn't hear the 5AM wake-up radio. I woke up on my own after 6 and missed it. Total bummer. I slunk out of bed & rode my bike 7 miles while catching up on The Daily Show & Sport Center.

Saturday is our LONG long run - I'll log 10 miles and then we start to taper. The race is a mere 2 weeks away. So excited.

No comments: