Thursday, April 26, 2007

Faster Than Lightning

Today our track workout was a learning about how fast we really are. Coach told us we were going to run a mile as fast as we can to test our understanding of our ability. We had to predict how fast we could run four laps of the track, run them & see how well we know ourselves. I guessed that I could run the mile in 12 minutes.

We did 1/2 mile warm up, our usual stretches, shout outs, cheers and a moment of silence then off to the races. The first lap was OK & coach was impressed by my rhythm. The second lap the breathing was harder. The third lap I know I slowed. As I came around the last turn into the home stretch I heard them counting: 9.25, 9.30 I kicked on the power boosters...9.31, 32, 33, 34 & I crossed the line at 9.37.

Whoooo hooo under 10 minutes. I know I couldn't keep that pace up for another lap but I was impressed with my time.

At the end of the cool down laps coached looked at the clipboard where we all predicted out times. "Hey! Where's Sarah? She doesn't know squat!"

I've never run for speed - I run a pace I know I can keep up with for the duration. I expect I'll finish the race next weekend somewhere in the 12-13 min. mile pace. I'm OK with that. A few months ago I couldn't keep going beyond a mile & it took over 15 minutes to do it.

No comments: